IRS Standard Mileage Rates
For tax year 2023, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (vans, pickups or panel trucks) are:
- 65.5 cents per mile for business use
- 22 cents per mile for medical or moving
- 14 Cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
For tax year 2022 the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) are:
- 62.5 cents per mile for business miles after 6/30/2022 and 58.5 cents before 7/1/2022
- 22 cents per mile for medical or moving after 6/30/22 and 18 cents before 7/1/2022
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
To use the standard mileage rate for a vehicle this method must be used in the first year the vehicle is available for business. Taxpayers may choose either the standard mileage method or actual expense method for subsequent years. The straight-line method of depreciation must be used for the actual expense method in any year after the standard mileage rate method is used.
You may not use the business standard mileage rate for a vehicle if you have taken any depreciation using any method other than straight-line depreciation for its estimated useful life or after claiming a Section 179 deduction or special depreciation allowance for that vehicle.
Rather than using the standard mileage rates, you always have the option of using the actual costs of using your vehicle and prorating the costs for the business use if you keep good records for gas, fuel, repairs and maintenance, auto insurance and depreciation based on the original purchase price or other basis if not purchased.
Ask us for a free complimentary mileage and expense log when you have your taxes prepared here.